THE PERFECT BEVERAGES
MADE EVEN MORE IRRESISTIBLE
Serving up perfectly crafted Red Diamond coffee and tea is just the beginning of how you can build excitement and generate traffic (along with creating higher check averages). In this edition of The Trend Alert, industry insiders and beverage trendsetters share merchandising tips and unique approaches to upsell your beverage menu and encourage repeat purchases.
COFFEE FLAVOR FAVORITES
49 percent of Generation Z and 41% of Millennials primarily order flavored coffee drinks.1 While exotic flavors have grown in popularity (including flavors as unique as cardamom, which has seen a 100% increase in the last year), traditional flavors still continue to appeal most strongly in the coffee arena. These top flavors include:
1. Technomic Inc., 2019
LTOS AND SEASONAL FLAVORS
ARE SURE-BET BEVERAGE SELLERS
Limited-Time Offers (LTOs) are both a great way to capitalize on the demand for seasonal flavors and to generate excitement and action for buyers to “get it before it’s gone.” Give your coffee and tea offerings more appeal by meeting seasonal tastes.
SAY THEIR BEVERAGE PREFERENCES
ARE IMPACTED BY THE SEASONS.
TOP TRENDING FLAVORS PER SEASON INCLUDE:
CUSTOMIZATION CAN BOOST SALES AND CONSUMER LOYALTY
Customized beverages are a great way to attract customers, especially the Millennial and Generation Z crowds, who find customization and diversity in beverages important.
DID YOU KNOW:
- Consumers seek out unique items they can’t make at home. Check out our Recipe Corner for easy starter options.
- Creating drinks that are exclusive to your operation and creatively named can generate buzz and create more traffic.
CRAFT COCKTAILS ARE
A GREAT WAY TO STAND OUT
Customizing craft cocktails and mocktails made with coffee or tea as your base brings excitement to the dining experience. “Adult beverages” that are trending include not only citrus flavors, but flavors like apple, ginger, cucumber, elderflower and jalapeño. Plus, adding unique garnishes also differentiates your drink offerings and provides flavor cues.
See the RED DIAMOND RECIPE CORNER for fun cocktail ideas.
FOR TODAY’S DABBLERS
Giving your customers the opportunity to customize their own beverages empowers them to be creative and meet their own flavor preferences. Ways to inspire your customers to customize is by offering:
- Flavored syrups and creamers
- Unique sweeteners, including agave, monk fruit and more
- A variety of milks: along with the growth of almond milk, oat milk is a Gen Z favorite, and sesame milk is beginning to trend strongly
THE DECONSTRUCTED LATTE
Provide a glass with espresso, a glass with steamed milk and a third glass with milk and coffee combined. Include an array of flavored syrups and unique sugars.
MERCHANDISING IDEAS THAT CAN HELP UPSELL
By being creative with your pairing suggestions, the way you menu your products and how you market yourself, there are a variety of simple yet innovative ways to generate orders and increase check averages.
- Develop coffee-based cocktails/mocktails to expand the after-dinner experience.
- Include coffee drink options on your dessert menu and/or as part of your dessert tray.
- Cater to consumer awareness by promoting the use of single-origin coffees and coffee-origin stories.
- Offer coffee as part of your breakfast bundles.
- Promote the freshness of your coffee, especially in c-stores. Call out the fact that it is brewed hourly, or indicate the most recent time it was brewed.
- Offer menu samplers for coffees and teas to boost engagement and encourage customers to try something new.
- Utilize the health benefits of coffee and tea to entice customers to take advantage of the antioxidants and natural boost of energy these beverages provide, along with the low-calorie count.
- Appeal to the artisanal aspect of coffee and tea by creating a separate coffee and tea menu with descriptors similar to that of a wine menu.
- Utilize point-of-sale material to generate purchases.
- Create eye-catching designs that enhance your store image with unifying designs.
- Convey your branding message throughout the path-topurchase, from exterior, to entrance, to order activation.
HOW YOUR STAFF CAN HELP GENERATE SALES
Perhaps one of the most powerful outlets for promoting your products and encouraging addon sales is through the people who represent your brand. Give your staff the tools needed to boost profits.
Provide your waitstaff with the education and expertise regarding various formats and origins of coffees and teas. This will help make it easier for customers to decide which beverage suits their specific tastes.
Encourage your staff to promote both classic and inventive pairings. For example, certain coffees complement certain cheesecakes or other desserts well. Consider more elaborate main course pairing suggestions, such as pairing Sumatra Kuda Mas coffee with pork or lamb. This projects a level of expertise and encourages upselling as well.
Have your staff offer take-home afterdinner options for customers who are fully sated or crunched for time.
YOUR IDEAL BEVERAGE PROGRAM PARTNER
Since 1906, the Red Diamond family has been at the leading edge of coffee and tea solutions. We continue today with only the finest products, along with the insights, innovations and expertise to help ensure that your customers always enjoy the perfect beverage experience.
RED DIAMOND RECIPE CORNER
Red Diamond provides more than just on-trend products and sales-generating ideas. We provide a variety of recipe ideas that help operators meet today’s demands.
MAPLE CREAM LATTE
- 8 oz. High Altitude™ Papua New Guinea Blend Coffee, brewed
- 4 oz. 2% or whole milk (nut or oat milks also)
- 1 1/2 oz. maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Heat milk in milk frother, or heat in microwave and use small electric frother. Stir maple syrup and vanilla into coffee and finish off with hot frothed milk.
SPICED RASPBERRY TODDY
- 6 oz. brewed Red Diamond® Raspberry Tea
- 1/2 tsp. allspice
- 1/2 tsp. ground clove
- 1 1-inch piece cinnamon stick
- 1 Tbsp. orange juice
- 3 Tbsp. honey, to taste
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 oz. spiced rum (optional)
Combine ingredients in microwave-safe cup. Heat for 1 minute. Remove; tea will be hot! Make it a tasty “adult beverage” by adding a shot of spiced rum.
TURKISH DELIGHT COFFEE
- 2 Tbsp. finely ground Red Diamond® Estate® Coffee (Gourmet Reserve)
- 8 oz. water
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cardamom
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Put ingredients in small saucepan and bring to boil. Remove from heat. Let cool for 2 min. Heat again to boil. Cool again for 2 min. Heat once more to boil. Remove from heat and strain through very fine mesh strainer into cup.
FIND MORE RECIPES AT: